Early education is a critical part of the present education system and therefore choosing the right playschool is utmost important to secure the future of the kids. At the present time, the best preschools in Brooklyn are the educational institutes meant for the young learners. These preschools offer the right environment for exploring and discovering freely within different areas of development. This is why these are recommended as the supplement to learning at home. So, if you are looking for a preschool for your kid, here comes a guide that can assist you in this process.
Choosing the right preschool for your kid:
While choosing the right preschool, narrow down all the options by checking the details like location, price and hours. As each family is different, therefore the considerations mostly vary on the basis of the requirements of the parents. After narrowing down the choice of preschools, schedule a tour. Conducting a tour is necessary to focus on things and also to ask questions. Here are a few factors that must be kept in mind while touring the preschools.
- Staff members: Of all the things mentioned on this list, the staff members of the preschool are one of the most important ones. So, you must keep an eye out for the details like:
- How the teachers interact with the kids: While talking to the kids, the teachers should get down to their eye levels. It is also necessary to maintain a healthy communication between the two. This shows an actual interest in what the kids like to say and also in the kids.
- How the staff members care for the kids: This is another important factor and can be checked in a number of ways while touring the schools. For instance, good staff members can bring laughter and smile in the kids by listening to them and interacting with them properly. High fives, hugs, and encouraging words can be some great indicators.
- Staff members, who are trained enough: The staff members of preschools should be trained enough to have professional development before teaching the young learners.
- Classrooms with child-friendly furniture: The kids need to be comfortable in their classroom and the furniture ranges should be selected carefully so that these don’t hurt the kids.
- Enough space in the classroom: The rooms may not be like playgrounds, but spacious enough for all the kids in each classroom.
- The work of students in every classroom: The writing, art, pictures and building creations of the students must be evident around each classroom. The kids must consider the classrooms as the spaces that only belong to them.
- Print-rich classrooms: Search for the books meant for the students and the words in the labeling areas of the classroom. Also, watch if the teachers write down kids’ stories. This can help you to spot a print-rich environment in the classroom.
- Safety: While touring the pre-schools, ask the directors about the emergency plans the schools are having along with the teacher-student ratios. Don’t forget to look at the playgrounds while touring.
- Individual communication with each parent: Check how the school authority communicated with each parent. This can be through weekly emails, daily notes or communication apps. Remember that the main aim should be to keep the parents connected to the classroom.
- Communication between the teachers and parents: Get the school handbooks from the directors and learn about their communication habits. Besides, the school should ask the parents to fill handbooks regarding what they actually expect from it. Other methods through which a school can communicate with the parents include calendars, monthly newsletters, and emails.
- Behavior management: Don’t forget to ask the preschool director about the behavioral guidelines that are in place in the classroom. There must be some age-appropriate expectations along with consequences and clear rules. Besides, ask clearly how the staff members teach kids to solve issues with their peer groups.
- Right teaching plan: The curriculum of a preschool can’t always be purchased from stores. But the teachers and directors of the preschool must be aware of the goals for kids of every each group. The goals must be set as per the ages of the kids.
- Includes every detail: Arts and crafts, music, language experiences, science experiments, sensory play, real writing, and pre-writing activities- the preschool curriculum must include all the topics.
- Practical activities: The kids love to learn through play and this is what they do in the best daycare in Brooklyn. So, the preschool should teach them to immerse fully in learning by touching blocks, holding books, moving the math manipulatives, dancing and listening to the music. Kids never like to sit down and fill in the worksheets on a regular basis.